herterich-artisan-butcher-shop-originalparentsThe business was established in September 1956 by Louis Herterich and his wife Teresa at Ballymahon St, Longford Town. The Herterich family are originally from Braviera in southern Germany. The first pork butcher shop was opened in Naas, County Kildare in 1912 by Louis’s father George. Louis’s was part of a large family that spread out all over Ireland, opening shops and bringing Traditional German butchering skills with them.

The Ballymahon St Premises was the location of Louis’s manufacturing facility, butchery and family home, a true Artisan food producer, Louis made the finest pork sausages, pastries, cured and cooked meats, whilst Teresa, an absolute master of customer service, together with the front of house staff would sell these wonderful products to customers.Very often customers would travel from different Counties to buy and to avail of the meats and their traditional recipes. We still use the exact same recipes and have the same wonderful customer service that is steeped in traditional values to this day!

sausages-medals-oldoriginal-shopPigs were purchased by Louis on a Sunday from famers and small holdings in area. This was often done house to house, village to village by bicycle long before a van was purchased. The pig had to be in the right condition and finished well to be considered worthy of use by the master butcher. There were days he might cycle 50 miles before finding suitable animals. The farmer would deliver his pigs to the old Longford slaughter house on Great Water St early on a Monday morning and thus began the process of the manufacture of a large range of artisan products.

Due to the popularity of our products the premises underwent a major expansion of shop floor and manufacturing space in 1982 with the first floor former living area being transformed into offices, stores and a test kitchen. We became the provider of choice for many hotels, restaurants and shops in the midlands area.

To meet our customer demand and rapidly growherterich-artisan-butcher-shoping customer base we underwent a further expansion in 1999, the entire premises was knocked with the exception of the front façade which was retained and the original stone work cleaned to remain true to our traditional roots and values.
 
We also added a Cafe which sold the food products from thsambos-cafe-longforde butchery. The restaurant has traded successfully for 13 years and was renovated in 2012 and renamed as “Sambos café”.

Our family tradition continues today with Louis Jnr, who apprenticed himself to his father for over a dozen years before he passed away in 1995 and his wife Caroline at the helm. They pride themselves on being innovative by bringing fresh new ideas in food and service to the people of Longford and surrherterich-artisan-foodhallounding areas, yet they also strive to remain true to those Herterich traditional values of service and quality.
 
We are delighted to announce that we have very recently expanded again and opened Herterich Artisan Foodhall here in Longford. Here we aim to showcase and sell our artisan products with that of other local artisan producers. We also have the  Sambo's delicious  sandwich menu at very reasonable prices.
 
 
  • bratwurst-sausage-award
  • devro-award
  • read-to-eat-award
  • roulade-of-chicken-award
  • spiced-beef-award